What is a health care Home?
A health care home or patient centered medical home is an enhanced way of delivering health care. It is an advanced team approach to focus on you as a whole patient not just one aspect. This team approach can be very helpful for people with difficult and challenging health needs. This team approach of care delivery helps patients coordinate services they receive from specialists, therapists, and other services to better manage their health. Health care home teams will help to coordinate all aspects of care.
The health care home team includes you, your provider, a health coach, as well as other health care professionals and staff at our clinic. Your team will also include trusted family and/or friends who you have chosen to play a role in your health care. Your health coach will help you develop a care plan that addresses your needs and will coordinate your care with any specialists you may see.
Is Health Care home right for me?
You could benefit if you have:
• Chronic and/ or multiple illness
• Unstable or newly diagnosed illnesses
• Multiple medication
• Special health needs
What are the benefits?
- Your health care team or individual health coach will help you find specialty care or community services when needed and will make updates to your care plan with you.
- You and your primary care provider discuss your treatment options together and coordinate care with other specialists who care for you.
- You receive improved ability to communicate and make appointments with your health care team.
- You take charge of your health by assuming responsibility for aspects of your care.
- You will develop a relationship of mutual respect & trust with all team members as a platform for success.
- Your cultural and religious beliefs are valued. When possible, your preferences for treatment and care are met.
- You are given information to help you learn more about your ongoing health concerns and address issues sooner, resulting in less ER visits and hospital stays.
- Your primary care provider makes sure you understand your treatment choices.
How Can i get the best care?
- Become more involved with your health care:
- Bring a list of your top questions or concerns to discuss at every visit
- If you have a chronic condition, ask that your care plan is communicated with other medical providers, nurses or other people involved in your health care.
- Be open and honest about your health habits. Your primary care provider is here to help you, not judge you.
- Ask for something to be repeated if you do not understand it.
- Ask your primary care provider to write down the next steps.
- Ask how to get care after clinic hours
- Ask to meet the staff that will be working with you.
- Let your health care home team know how you are doing.